BDSM and The Law
This is NOT legal advice.
If you live in Pennsylvania ask your Legislator
to change these laws
Age of Consent in Pennsylvania is 18
"Obscene." Any material or performance, if:
1. the average person applying contemporary community standards would find that the subject matter taken as a whole appeals to the prurient interest;
2. the subject matter depicts or describes in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct of a type described in this section; and
3. the subject matter, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, educational or scientific value
"Sadomasochistic abuse." Means, in a sexual context, flagellation or torture by or upon a person who is nude or clad in undergarments, a mask or in a bizarre costume or the condition of being fettered, bound or otherwise physically restrained on the part of one who is nude or so clothed.
"Sexual conduct." Patently offensive representations or descriptions of ultimate sexual acts, normal or perverted, actual or simulated, including sexual intercourse, anal or oral sodomy and sexual bestiality; and patently offensive representations or descriptions of masturbation, excretory functions, sadomasochistic abuse and lewd exhibition of the genitals.
CHAPTER 59. PUBLIC INDECENCY
§ 5903. Obscene and other sexual materials and performances.
(a) Offenses defined.--No
person, knowing the obscene character of the materials or performances
- 1. display or cause or permit the display of any explicit sexual
materials as defined in subsection (c) in or on any window, showcase,
newsstand, display rack, billboard, display board, viewing screen, motion
picture screen, marquee or similar place in such manner that the display
is visible from any public street, highway, sidewalk, transportation
facility or other public thoroughfare, or in any business or commercial
establishment where minors, as a part of the general public or otherwise,
are or will probably be exposed to view all or any part of such materials;
- 2. sell, lend, distribute, exhibit, give away or show any obscene
materials to any person 18 years of age or older or offer to sell, lend,
distribute, transmit, exhibit or give away or show, or have in his
possession with intent to sell, lend, distribute, transmit, exhibit or
give away or show any obscene materials to any person 18 years of age or older, or knowingly advertise any obscene materials in any manner;
- design, copy, draw, photograph, print, utter, publish or in any manner manufacture or prepare any obscene materials;
- write, print, publish, utter or cause to be written, printed, published or uttered any advertisement or notice of any kind giving information, directly or indirectly, stating or purporting to state where, how, from whom, or by what means any obscene materials can be purchased, obtained or had;
- produce, present or direct any obscene performance or participate in a portion thereof that is obscene or that contributes to its obscenity; 6. hire, employ, use or permit any minor child to do or assist in doing any act or thing mentioned in this subsection;
(a.1) Dissemination of explicit sexual material via an electronic communication.--No person, knowing the content of the advertisement to be explicit sexual materials as defined in subsection (c)(1) and (2), shall transmit or cause to be transmitted an unsolicited advertisement in an electronic communication as defined in section 5702 (relating to definitions) to one or more persons within this Commonwealth that contains explicit sexual materials as defined in subsection (c)(1) and (2) without including in the advertisement the term "ADV-ADULT" at the beginning of the subject line of the advertisement.