BDSM and The Law
This is NOT legal advice.
If you live in South Carolina ask your Legislator
to change these laws
Age of Consent in South Carolina is 18
SECTION 16-15-10. Bigamy.
Any person who is married who shall marry another person shall, unless:
(1) His or her husband or wife has remained continually for seven years
beyond the sea or continually absented himself or herself from such person for
the space of seven years together, such person not knowing his or her wife or
husband to be living within that time;
(2) He or she was married before the age of consent;
(3) His or her wife or husband is under sentence of imprisonment for life; or
(4) His or her marriage has been annulled or he or she has been divorced by
decree of a competent tribunal having jurisdiction both of the cause and the
On conviction, be punished by imprisonment in the Penitentiary for not more
than five years nor less than six months or by imprisonment in the jail for six
months and by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars.
SECTION 16-15-50. Seduction
under promise of marriage.
A male over the age of sixteen years who by means of deception and promise of
marriage seduces an unmarried woman in this State is guilty of a misdemeanor
and, upon conviction, must be fined at the discretion of the court or imprisoned
not more than one year. There must not be a conviction under this section on the
uncorroborated testimony of the woman upon whom the seduction is charged, and no
conviction if at trial it is proved that the woman was at the time of the
alleged offense lewd and unchaste. If the defendant in any action brought under
this section contracts marriage with the woman, either before or after the
conviction, further proceedings of this section are stayed.
SECTION 16-15-60. Adultery or
Any man or woman who shall be guilty of the crime of adultery or fornication
shall be liable to indictment and, on conviction, shall be severally punished by
a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars
or imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than one year or by both
fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.
SECTION 16-15-70. "Adultery"
"Adultery" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each
other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of
a man and woman when either is lawfully married to some other person.
"Fornication" is the living together and carnal intercourse with
each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living
together of a man and woman, both being unmarried.
Prostitution; lewdness, assignation and prostitution generally.
It shall be unlawful to:
(1) Engage in prostitution;
(2) Aid or abet prostitution knowingly;
(3) Procure or solicit for the purpose of prostitution;
(4) Expose indecently the private person for the purpose of prostitution or
5) Reside in, enter or remain in any place, structure, building, vehicle,
trailer or conveyance for the purpose of lewdness, assignation or prostitution;
(6) Keep or set up a house of ill fame, brothel or bawdyhouse;
(7) Receive any person for purposes of lewdness, assignation or prostitution
into any vehicle, conveyance, trailer, place, structure or building;
(8) Permit any person to remain for the purpose of lewdness, assignation or
prostitution in any vehicle, conveyance, trailer, place, structure or building;
Any person violating any provision of Sections 16-15-90 and 16-15-100 must,
upon conviction, be punished as follows:
(1) for the first offense, a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars or
confinement in prison for a period of not more than thirty days;
(2) for the second offense, a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars or
imprisonment for not exceeding six months, or both;
(3) for the third or any subsequent offense, a fine not exceeding three
thousand dollars or imprisonment for not less than one year, or both.
SECTION 16-15-120. Buggery.
Whoever shall commit the abominable crime of buggery, whether with mankind or
with beast, shall, on conviction, be guilty of felony and shall be imprisoned in
the Penitentiary for five years or shall pay a fine of not less than five
hundred dollars, or both, at the discretion of the court.